Pages

June 7, 2011

Jerome Walker, 1862 letter

Letter to Catherine Canright from her son Jerome Walker

Sunday Nov 24 1862

My dear mother I have quit work at Sheridan and now I am to work in the north  wood for a man by the name of Cary on Flat River  for thirty dollars a month.  I have been here about three.  I went from Stanton out to woods and a Gilbert lumber camp and worked days and when I asked for the foreman to give me a order for my money and get me some shirts and drawers abut he said that he nothing to say if I wanted my money go to the (?) wood and get it so I went down to  Stanton and asked for Mr. Wood for it and he asked for my order I told him that the foreman, a said he said that he had aught to give me my time he didn’t know anything about it I went back and told the foreman about it and he give me my time and I went and got my money and quit.  If I stay here I shall have some money for Bertize and you I shall send my letter to Saranac. I want you to us right to me as soon as you get this well I must close from you son, Jerome R. Walker.

PS The snow was about 4 inches deep yesterday last night it rained so that the snow was about gone this morning but it is snowing now. Direct your liters to Westville Mount Calm Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment